Earth Day is Wednesday, April 22nd and we've put together a list of five easy activities that make a big impact.
1. Get Out : pack a picnic! Here are our favorite breakfast, lunch and supper suggestions to get you started!
2. Unplug : don't just take a digital detox day outside, take a moment to walk around the house and literally unplug all chargers not being used. Even if your device isn't plugged, the chargers are using energy.
3. Drink Up : with a high quality water bottle that you'll use again and again, reducing the number of plastic bottles that end up in landfills. These are our favorites : Klean Kanteen (customize the top to fit your needs) and Contigo Travel Mug (keeps your drink hot or cold for hours!)
4. Host a Swap Party : satisfy that itch to spring-clean and purge your closets. Encourage your friends to do the same and bring their items to a swap-party (a.k.a. an excuse to hang with your friends, sip wine and try on new-to-you clothes).
5. Bag It : Invest in a couple of high-quality reusable bags for your grocery shopping. These fabulous handmade, reversible burlap bags from No. 41 not only reduce waste, but your purchase feeds one child, for one meal, for one year. (You can read more about the heart behind No. 41 in our interview with No.41 founder, Tara.)
It's easy to set aside one day a year to be extra-conscious of the energy we use and waste we produce, but to help remind you beyond April 22nd, we've provided three earth-centric desktop backgrounds below. Simply click the image, download and save to your desktop.
And don't forget to Pre-Order your copy of The Dirt Issue (releasing later this month), which packed full of gorgeous imagery, recipes and stories that will keep your hands dirty.